Monday, September 26, 2005


I cannot quite get used to live in Brussels. I like working here. I like some of the people I met in these last 15 month. Still I have a bizarre relationship with the city.

It may be its architecture. It is not beautiful while it is not ugly. There is nothing wrong with it and maybe this is the problem. Besides being the world capital of Art Nouveau there is little thrilling in the city. Like with Bucharest, recent interventions have affected Brussels in a negative way. Especially in the 60s they have erased whole parts of the city center were modern concrete monsters have replaced turn of the century and baroque architecture. This is only made worth by the contemporary �Manhattan� style buildings that spring almost everywhere. To add to this, the European quarter is somewhat an island in the city segregating the place in human and urban terms. The rest is rather blunt residential areas. The most colorful are the often semi derelict parts of Anderlecht and Scharbeck were also lives the majority of the city�s Middle Eastern, Turkish and North African population.

Islands of beauty remain and are wonderful. The parks, Sablon on Sundays, the Place de Chatelaine, there are many. I automatically exclude the Grand Place and other such tourist bazaars they are not mine as they are but rarely belonging to the people of Brussels.

You can also find nice routines in the city. I love to shop on Saturdays on a corner close to Merode. I find bread and croissants at Pain Quotidian, fresh figs, sun dried tomatoes, and parmigiano reggiano, my favorite olive oil and fresh goat cheese for sandwiches at a little Italian shop. I love even more to get the same, plus luscious olives with various spices and flavorings, fresh pasta, tomatoes, arugula and basil at the Italian market that sets shop every Sunday in Place Jourdain. I love to have brunches with friends at the Peroquette. I love to rent movies late at night at the Enfants du paradise. I love to walk around Rue Blaise.

This is my Brussels. One day I will right about the people I like here. And the changes it brought into my life.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: